Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Miss Mustard Seed Paint- Antique Coffee Table Redo


Loving Miss Mustard Seed Yellow- Brightens up this last few Snowy Days-






BEFORE I Painted
no Prep work- Look how shiny it is

I have had this coffee Table for years.  It was a Craigslist find.  I love the style and the brass claw feet but was tired of dark and glossy  and scratched up finish on the table.

I loved working with this milk paint.  This was an experiment.  I first painted the whole table with the milk paint without any prep work. - no sanding - nothing.  I did not think the paint would stick to the table's  glossy surface. I did not mind if it peeled away in places-  I was after the chippy look after all.   After two coats, The top of the table looked great -  peeling and chipping in a few places.  But the sides were a disaster, the paint just fell off the entire edge of the table.   I read that you can add a MMS product- bonding agent- to the paint to get the paint to adhere better.  I did not have any on hand, so I just sanded down the edges and the rest of the table.  I ran my Vacuum over the table and then applied another coat on the entire table and one more on the edges of the table .  I used a putty knife and some sand paper and roughed up the table a bit.  I loved this part!! You never know where the paint is going to peel.  This paint give a piece so much Character!  Next, I used a Minwax Clear finishing paste to seal the table.  It worked great but it was very hard and thick and strong smelling.  - But that is what I had to work with.  I finished the table by applying Miss Mustard Seed' s Antiquing wax to give it a more aged look.


No comments:

You May also like

Related Posts with Thumbnails