Friday, January 08, 2010
Cooking: Sweet-Potato Corn Chowder
This is a spicy soup from the January/February issue of Midwest Living- featuring lots of comfort food recipes.
* 12 oz. andouille, kielbasa or smoked pork sausage,halved lengthwise and cut into 1/2-inch slices
* 1 large onion, chopped (1 cup)
* 2 stalks celery, chopped (1 cup)
* 1 Tbsp. minced garlic (6 cloves)
* 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
* 1-1/2 tsp. ground cumin
* 1-1/2 tsp. chili powder
* 1 tsp. Cajun or Creole seasoning
* 6 cups chicken broth
* 1 16-oz. pkg. frozen whole kernel corn or 3 cups fresh sweet corn kernels
* 2 cups 1/2-inch cubes peeled sweet potato (about 2 small)
* 12 oz. skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
* 1 cup whipping cream
* 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1. In a 6-quart Dutch oven, brown sausage over medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add onion, celery and garlic. Cook and stir for 5 minutes. Stir in flour, cumin, chili powder and Cajun seasoning. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Stir in chicken broth. Bring to boiling.
2. Add corn, sweet potatoes, and chicken. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, about 20 minutes or until sweet potatoes are tender. Stir in whipping cream and pepper; heat through. Makes 8 to 10 main-dish servings.
Sweet Potato Corn Chowder