Saturday, January 23, 2010
Baking: Salted Thyme Flatbread
SALTED THYME FLATBREAD
A great easy yeast bread to have with soup- We had it with Hearty Meatless Minestrone-
1¼ cups warm water (110 to 115°F.)
1½ tsp granulated sugar
1½ tsp active dry yeast
1½ tsp salt
3½ cups all-purpose flour
2 Tbs olive oil
1 Tbs or less
coarse Sea salt
1 Tbs fresh chopped thyme
Rosemary and red pepper flakes
1. Place water into large bowl. Sprinkle with sugar and yeast. Let stand 5 minutes or until yeast is dissolved. Stir in salt. Gradually add flour, stirring until dough forms.
2. On a lightly floured surface, knead dough 10 to 12 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Place dough in large oiled bowl, cover; let rise in warm place until doubled in size; about 45 minutes to 1 hour.
3. Place oven rack in lowest rack position; heat oven to 450°F. Grease a 15×10x1-inch jelly roll pan.
4. Gently punch down dough to deflate. Place in pan; using palm of hand press dough to cover bottom of the pan. Cover; let rise about 20 minutes or until risen by half. Brush dough with oil; sprinkle generously with coarse salt, Rosemary, and red pepper flakes.
5. Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until light golden brown. Remove from oven and sprinkle with thyme.
*If using a KA mixer with a dough hook, simply dump all of the bread ingredients into the mixer and let it do all of the mixing and kneading.
**If you’re using a bread machine, layer the ingredients in the bread pan according to the manufacturer’s instructions and let it do the kneading and the first rise. Then take it out of the machine and prep it for the 2nd rise.
recipe adapted from recipe girl
Hearty Meatless Minestrone
* 1 large onion, chopped
* 3 tablespoons olive oil
* 2 celery ribs, chopped
* 2 medium carrots, chopped
* 1 cup chopped cabbage
* 1 medium red pepper, chopped
* 1 medium zucchini, chopped
* 6 garlic cloves, minced
* 3-1/2 cups water
* 1 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
* 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
* 1 jar (28 ounces) tomato sauce
* 3 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
* 2 teaspoons dried basil
* 2 teaspoons dried oregano
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 teaspoon pepper
* 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
* 1/2 cup small pasta shells or macaroni
* Fresh basil leaves and shaved Parmesan cheese, optional
* In a Dutch oven, saute onion in oil for 2 minutes. Add the celery, carrots, cabbage, green pepper, zucchini and garlic; saute 3 minutes longer. Stir in the water, tomatoes, beans,tomato sauce and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
* Stir in pasta; cook 12-15 minutes longer or until tender. Garnish each serving with basil and cheese if desired. Yield: 8 servings (3 quarts).
Nutrition Facts: 1-1/2 cups (calculated without optional ingredients) equals 191 calories, 6 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 664 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 6 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 vegetable, 1 starch, 1 fat.
Recipe adapted from Taste of Home