Wednesday, January 06, 2010
Baking: Whole Wheat Bread from freshly ground wheat
I made this bread this morning using wheat from my dad's fields. I used the Vitamix to grind the wheat and then to mix up the dough. Very fast and easy. This is a recipe from the Vitamix book.
1 1/4 cup warm water
1 T active dry yeast
1 T honey
1 3/4 whole kernel wheat or 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour- (frozen wheat prevents overheating and preserves enzymes)
1 tsp salt
1 T olive oil
1 tsp lemon juice
makes 1 loaf
1. Measure 1 3/4 cup of wheat. Measure 1 tsp salt.
2. Place the wheat and the salt in the DRY Container for the Vitamix. Secure the lid tightly. Turn machine on High and grind for 1 1/2 minutes. do not overprocess.
3. Measure 1 1/4 cups of water. Add 1 T yeast and 1 T honey to water. Stir and let set 3 to 5 minutes.
4. Remove lid of the vitamix. You will notice a hole in the center of the flour. Pour the water, yeast and honey mixture directly into the hole in the flour. Add 1 T oil and 1 tsp lemon juice.
5. Secure the lid. Turn machine on High and run for 1 second. Turn the machine off. While dough rests for a moment, lightly coat a loaf pan with cooking spray.
6. With machine off, remove lid. Use a wet spatula to scrape dough from the sides of the container and Pull dough toward the center of the container. With switch on High quickly turn machine on and off 5 times. Repeat steps until the dough binds together in a soft elastic mixture. Dough with form a ball on the top of the blades.
7. Invert the container over the prepared pan. Use a wet spatula to remove any remaining dough. With wet spatula, shape the loaf. Let the dough rise just to the top of the pan- 15 to 20 minutes. Turn oven to 350 degrees. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes. Remove to a cooling rack.