1 cup packed light brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
3 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
5 apples, cored, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1 1/4 cups walnuts or pecans chopped
1 T vanilla
4 T butter
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
pinch of salt
1/2 cups heavy cream
1. Preheat oven to 325 , butter and flour a 9x13 inch pan
2. To prepare the cake, beat both sugars and oil in a mixing bowl until very well blended. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Sift together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Gradually add to egg mixture, mixing just until blended. Stir in apples, nuts and vanilla; pour into pan.
3. Bake for 50 to 75 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool in the pan while preparing glaze.
4. To prepare the glaze, melt the butter in a saucepan over low heat. Stir in both sugars and salt; cook over low heat for 2 minutes. Add cream and boil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
5. Poke holes in the cake with a skewer or toothpick. Pour on the glaze. Serve warm or at room temperature. Top with whipped cream or ice cream if desired. Makes 12 servings