A super Filling and Healthy Soup Recipe- It makes a huge batch-
Hearty Minestrone Soup
Prep: 30 min.
Cook: 2 hrs., 16 min.
View Nutrition Facts
* 1/4 cup olive oil
* 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
* 2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
* 6 to 8 cups shredded cabbage or packaged shredded cabbage with carrot (coleslaw mix)
* 3 medium red potatoes, diced (about 1 pound)
* 2 cups chopped carrots (4 medium)
* 2 cups chopped zucchini (about 10 ounces)
* 1-1/2 cups chopped, trimmed fresh green beans (about 6 ounces)
* 1-1/2 cups cooked navy or white kidney beans or 1 15-ounce can navy or cannellini (white kidney) beans, rinsed and drained
* 1 cup chopped celery (2 stalks)
* 2 Tbsp. dried basil, crushed
* 1-1/2 tsp. dried oregano, crushed
* 1 4-oz. wedge Parmesan cheese
* 2 32-oz. cartons chicken broth
* 1 14-1/2-oz. can stewed tomatoes, undrained and cut up
* 1/2 cup uncooked arborio or long grain rice
* Sourdough or French bread slices (optional)
In a 7- to 8-quart Dutch oven, heat oil and butter over medium heat. Add onion and cook, uncovered, about 10 minutes or until onions are tender and golden, stirring occasionally. Add cabbage, potatoes, carrots, zucchini, green beans, navy beans, celery, basil and oregano. Cook, uncovered, for 6 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Meanwhile, remove rind from Parmesan cheese. Wrap the cheese rind in a double layer of 100% cotton cheesecloth. Finely shred the Parmesan cheese; cover and chill until serving time.
Stir broth, undrained tomatoes and rice into the mixture in the Dutch oven. Bring to boiling; reduce heat to low. Add wrapped cheese rind. Simmer, covered, for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
To serve, remove and discard cheese rind. Ladle soup into bowls and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. If you like, serve with sourdough bread. Makes 18 cups, 12 (1-1/2-cup) servings.