I love this Lemon poppy seed cake! The Lemon Syrup and lots of lemon zest is the Secret to this Great Cake!
- 2 and 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup poppy seeds
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- zest of 4 large lemons
- juice of 2 large lemons
- 1 cup buttermilk, room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- juice of 2 large lemons
- 1 cup sifted confectioners sugar
- juice of 1/2 large lemon
Start by Soaking the poppy seeds in the Buttermilk - stir and set aside..
- Lower the oven rack to the lower third position and preheat the oven to 350F degrees. Prepare the Bundt Pan- I coated mine with Coconut oil and dusted with flour. Set aside.
- Make the cake: Sift the flour and cornstarch together into a large bowl. Whisk in the salt, baking powder, baking soda, Set aside.
- Using a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter on high speed until smooth and creamy - about 1 minute. Add the sugar and beat on high speed for 2 minutes until creamed together fairly well. Scrape down the sides and up the bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula as needed. Add the eggs and the vanilla. Beat on medium-high speed until combined. Scrape down the sides and up the bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula as needed. Beat in the lemon zest and lemon juice. With the mixer on low speed, add the dry ingredients in three additions alternating with the buttermilk, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients, and mixing each addition just until incorporated. Do not over mix. The batter will be slightly thick.
- Pour/spoon the batter evenly into the bundt pan. Bake for 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean. Cover the cake loosely with aluminum foil if you begin to see the top browning quickly. Once done, remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes inside the pan.
- During this time, make the simple syrup. Combine the granulated sugar and lemon juice in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stirring constantly, cook until the sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Invert the slightly cooled bundt cake onto a wire rack set over a large plate or serving dish. Spoon the syrup on top of the cake. Allow cake to cool before glazing and serving.
- Make the glaze: Whisk the confectioners' sugar and lemon juice. I added 2 Tablespoons of softened butter to my icing..
- Prepare cake and syrup through step 6. Cover the cake tightly and refrigerate for up to 2 days or freeze up to 2 months. The flavor will be amazing after this time! Bring to room temperature and continue with step 7.
Recipe Source: http://www.amazon.com/Make-It-Ahead-Barefoot-Contessa/dp/0307464881