The Combination of the Crackers and the Chocolate remind me of a common snack from my childhood. We lived out in the country far from any decent sized grocery store so we often had to make due with what we had and often had to get quite creative to make something to satisfy our Chocolate or sweet tooth cravings. My Mom taught us how to make chocolate frosting from cocoa powder, powdered sugar and milk. We ate this by the spoonful with saltine crackers. The sweetness of the Chocolate and the Saltiness of the Crackers was a great Combination. I Guess it is the same thing with these bars only they are a few notches up the Gourmet Scale from my childhood treat.
The Recipe comes from the August/September issue of Taste of Home
- 1 teaspoon plus 3/4 cup butter, cubed
- 45 Club crackers (2-1/2-inches x 1-inch)
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- Line a 9-in. square baking pan with foil and grease the foil with 1 teaspoon butter. Arrange a single layer of crackers in the pan.
- In a large saucepan, combine the milk, brown sugar, corn syrup and remaining butter. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to maintain a low boil; cook and stir for 7 minutes. Remove from the heat. Evenly spread a third of the mixture over the crackers. Repeat cracker and caramel layers twice.
- Immediately sprinkle chocolate chips over caramel; let stand 3-5 minutes or until glossy. Spread over top. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or until chocolate is set. Using foil, lift layers out of pan; cut into 3-in. x 1-in. bars. Yield: 27 bars.