Monday, January 03, 2011
HEARTY VEGETABLE SOUP with BASIL MEATBALLS
Hearty Vegetable Soup
I have been busy cleaning out my stashes of old magazines and books - We tried this great soup recipe from the Feb 2010 issue of Midwest living.
Prep: 35 minutes
Cook: 40 minutes
* 2 Tbsp. butter
* 2 Tbsp. olive oil
* 2 large onions, chopped (2 cups)
* 2 stalks celery, chopped (1 cup)
* 2 medium carrots, chopped (1 cup)
* 2 cloves garlic, minced
* 4 14-oz. cans beef broth
* 2 large red potatoes, peeled and cubed (2-1/4 cups)
* 1 10-oz. can tomato purée
* Basil Meatballs (recipe follows)
* Salt (optional)
* Red bottled hot pepper sauce (optional)
* 1/2 cup shredded fresh basil
1. In a 5-quart Dutch oven, heat butter and oil over medium heat. Add onions, celery, carrots and garlic. Cook over medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring often.
2. Stir in the broth and potatoes. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 20 minutes. Add tomato puree and Basil Meatballs* to the soup, a few at a time and cook, covered, 10 to 15 minutes more or until no pink remains in meatballs. Season to taste with salt and hot pepper sauce, if you like. Skim fat and garnish each serving with some of the fresh basil. Makes 8 servings.
3. Basil Meatballs: In a large bowl, combine 1 lightly beaten egg, 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs, 2 tablespoons shredded fresh basil, 2 tablespoons snipped fresh Italian (flat-leaf) parsley, 1 teaspoon kosher salt and 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper. Add 1 pound lean ground beef. Using two forks, lightly toss together all ingredients. Shape into tiny meatballs. (If you like, use a melon baller or small cookie scoop to shape the meatballs.) Makes 42, 3/4-inch meatballs.
4. *Baking Meatballs: For a browner meatball, arrange meatballs in a 15x10x1-inch baking pan. Bake, uncovered, in a 350 degree F. oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until no pink remains. Add to soup along with tomato puree and heat through.