Ultimate Ginger Cookies
* 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
* 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cloves
* 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
* 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
* 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
* 1 cup dark brown sugar, lightly packed
* 1/4 cup vegetable oil
* 1/3 cup unsulphured molasses
* 1 extra-large egg, at room temperature
* 1 1/4 cups chopped crystallized ginger
* sugar, for rolling cookies
Prep Time: 15 mins
Total Time: 28 mins
1. 1 Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. 2 Line 2 sheet pans with parchment paper.
3. 3 Sift together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, and salt and then combine the mixture with your hands.
4. 4 Beat the brown sugar, oil, and molasses on medium speed for 5 minutes. Turn the speed to low speed, add the egg, and beat for 1 minute. Scrape the bowl with a rubber spatula and beat for 1 more minute.
5. 5 With the mixer on low, slowly add the dry ingredients, then mix on medium speed for 2 minutes.
6. 6 Add crystallized ginger and mix until combined.
7. 7 Scoop the dough with 2 spoons or a small ice cream scoop. With your hands, roll each cookie into a 1 3/4-inch ball and then flatten them lightly with your fingers.
8. 8 Press both sides of each cookie in granulated sugar and place on sheet pans.
9. 9 Bake for exactly 13 minutes. The cookies will be cracked on the top and soft inside.
10. 10 Let the cookies cool for a minute or two and the transfer to wire racks to cool completely.