Friday, March 06, 2009
Taco Meatball Ring
* 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
* 2 tablespoons water
* 2 to 4 tablespoons taco seasoning
* 1/2 pound ground beef
* 2 tubes (8 ounces each) refrigerated crescent rolls
* 1/2 medium head iceberg lettuce, shredded
* 1 medium tomato, chopped
* 4 green onions, sliced
* 1/2 cup sliced ripe olives
* 2 jalapeno peppers, sliced
* Sour cream and salsa, optional
In a large bowl, combine 1 cup cheese, water and taco seasoning. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 16 balls.
Place meatballs on a greased rack in a shallow baking pan. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 12 minutes or until meat is no longer pink. Drain meatballs on paper towels. Reduce heat to 375°.
Arrange crescent rolls on a greased 15-in. pizza pan, forming a ring with pointed ends facing the outer edge of the pan and wide ends overlapping.
Place a meatball on each roll; fold point over meatball and tuck under wide end of roll (meatball will be visible). Repeat. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until rolls are golden brown.
Transfer to a serving platter. Fill the center of the ring with lettuce, tomato, onions, olives, jalapenos, remaining cheese, and sour cream and salsa if desired. Yield: 16 servings.