Friday, June 06, 2008
Baking: Cream-filled Chocolate Sandwiches :Oreo- like cookies
Quinn and I made these cookies last night. They really tasted like Oreos- the cookies and the filling. The recipe comes from Martha Stewarts new Cookies book.
Cream-filled Chocolate Sandwich Cookies
1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cups unsweetended Dutch process cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 cup sugar
10 Tbs unsalted room temperature butter
1 large egg, room temperature
1 stick unsalted room temperature butter
1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
1 T pure vanilla extract
3 1/2 cupsConfectioners' sugar
1. Preheat oven to 375. Line baking sheet with parchment paper
2. Sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl - whisk together.
3. In a bowl of an electric mixer, cream together sugar and butter until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add egg, beat to combine. with mixer on low speed, gradually add flour mixture; continue beating just until the dough is well combined.
4. Using a 1 1/4 -inch icecream scoop, drop dough onto prepared baking sheetd. Space them 2" apart. Pour about 1/2 cup sugar into a small bowl. Dip the bottom of a drinking glass into the sugar, and press the glass onto a ball of dough to flatten to 1/8th of an inch. Repeat with the remaining dough, dipping the glass into the sugar each time. Bake till firm - 1o to 12mins.
5. Remove the sheet from the oven and cool completely on a wire rack.
6. Spread 1 TBS of the filling over the flat side of half the cookies. Place the remaining cookies on top, flat side down, gently pressing down on them to squeeze the filling out.
Place butter, shortening, vanilla and salt in a small bowl and mix with a fork until smooth. Add the confectioners sugar and mix until well blended and smooth. This may take a couple minutes. Cover the bowl and set aside at room temperature until ready to use.