Eggplant parmesan breaded in coconut flour with healthy grain free sauce!
Author: Wellness Mama
Recipe type: Main
- 2-3 medium sized eggplants
- about ½ cup coconut flour (or almond flour)
- ⅓ cup arrowroot powder (can use more coconut if you don’t have this)
- garlic, salt, pepper and basil leaf
- 3-4 eggs
- 1 TBSP heavy cream (optional)
- 1 jar (24 ounces) of pasta sauce (check ingredients!)
- Parmesan cheese
- Mozzarella cheese
- tallow, lard or coconut oil
- About an hour before preparing, peel eggplant and slice into ¼ to ½ inch slices. Place eggplant in strainer and sprinkle heavily with salt. Let sit for 45 mins to 1 hour. This sweats the eggplant and makes it much less bitter. Rinse well with water and pat dry
- Put lard, tallow or coconut oil (about 1-2 cups) in a large skillet and turn on medium heat.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Mix coconut flour, arrowroot, 2 T parmesan and spices in large bowl or on a large plate
- Beat eggs with heavy cream, if using
- Dip eggplant in egg mixture, then in coconut flour mixture and place in hot oil in skillet
- Cook approximately 4 minutes per side until browned
- As eggplant is finished, place in a 13×9 baking dish
- Pour pasta sauce over the eggplant and then top with parmesan and mozzarella, if desired
- Heat in oven until cheese is melted and sauce is heated.