Tuesday, November 22, 2005
peach and sage glazed turkey with gravy
1 12 - 14 lb turkey (adjust seasonings according to weight)
salt and pepper
1/2 - 2/3 stick butter
1 large tart apple
1 large ripe pear
20 baby carrots or 3-4 large carrots cut into 1-inch chunks
4 or 5 stalks celery cut into thirds, with leafy tops
1 fennel bulb (optional)
1 large yellow or white onion, halved and quartered
3 or 4 6" rosemary sprigs, cut to about 2 inches long
2/3 bunch parsley
25 sage leaves
preheat oven to 400 degrees
1. If turkey is frozen, thaw completely. Remove bag of giblets and neck from cavity (set aside for gravy). Rinse inside and out under faucet. Pat off excess water with paper towel. Rub skin with butter, making sure to cover back, legs as well as the breast. Salt and pepper inside and out.
2. Core apple and pear and cut each into 8 sections. Slice fennel, if using.
3. Divide the fruit, vegetables, and herbs roughly into thirds. Stuff 1/3 of mix into the cavity of turkey. Bring the legs together tie a simple knot around them. Place turkey on rack breast side down over a rimmed sheet pan and scatter the remaining mix over the turkey. Roast for 45 minutes.
4. Remove the pan from the oven (close the oven door). Turn the turkey breast side up. Return the turkey to the oven and roast for another 15 minutes.
5. Roast for another 30 minutes.
6. Check Turkey and Return to oven and roast for another 15 - 30 minutes until the breasts register about 165 degrees and the thighs register about 170 degrees.
7. Remove the turkey from the oven and allow to rest before glazing and carving. Save the drippings for the gravy.
peach and sage glaze
1 cup peach preserves
8 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon dried sage
salt and pepper to taste
While turkey is roasting, stir together peach preserves, butter, sage, salt and pepper in a sauce pan and heat until melted to a thick syrup. Set aside. When the turkey has rested brush glaze mixture over all exposed skin, coating thoroughly.